"Walsall Wood Church, St John, was built in 1837, and is a plain structure of blue brick, in the lancet Gothic style, with stone dressings, and a square tower. The Vicar of Walsall is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev PG Harper, MA."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of St John, Walsall Wood commences in 1835. The original registers for the period 1835, 1837-1908 (Bapts), 1845-1913 (Mar) & 1837-1912 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A microfilm copy of some of the registers is held at Walsall Local History Centre.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Walsall can be found on the Walsall page.
[Last updated: 10th February 2001, Mike Harbach. © 2001]