Walsall St John
Pleck and Bescot were formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1860. St John's church, The Pleck, erected in 1858, was a cruciform structure of stone in the Early Decorated style.
St John's church, in Pleck Road, erected in 1858 to the designs of Griffin & Weller of Wolverhampton, was a cruciform building of stone in the Early Decorated style and consisted of a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, organ chamber, north vestry, north porch and a turret containing one bell.
The stained east window was a memorial to William Jones, and the pulpit of Caen stone and marble was the gift of Mr & Mrs J Wells of Bescot.
The building was demolished in 1976 and a new church built on the site which was dedicated in October 1976.
Postcard of St John's Church (Font) c1928.
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of St John commences in 1858. The original registers for the period 1858-1943 (Bapts) & 1860-1942 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A microfilm copy of some of the registers is held at Walsall Local History Centre.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Walsall can be found on the Walsall page.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2012, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2012]