"Smethwick, the largest and most populous part of Harborne parish, is now divided into two ecclesiastical districts and has two churches.
Smethwick Old Church, or Chapel, was built in 1723 and has a square tower. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of trustees, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Addenbrooke, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Smethwick Old Church was a chapelry of Harborne parish, details of which can be found on the Harborne parish page.
'A History of the Old Church, Smethwick,
together with background notes & some genealogies'
by AC & D Guest
Published 1997, by AC & D Guest, Warley.
A transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions of Smethwick Old Church has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Postcard of Old Church c1915.
Church of England Registers
The register of Smethwick Old Church commences in 1732. The original registers for the period 1732-1962 (Bapts), 1732-1789 & 1840-1989 (Mar) & 1732-1971(Bur) are deposited at Sandwell Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for Smethwick Old Church for the period 1774-1857 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Smethwick can be found on the Smethwick page.
[Last updated: 29th April 2011, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2011]